The following categories can enter Hungary without being subject to restrictions
The following categories can enter Hungary without being subject to restrictions:
- those crossing the border in freight traffic,
- persons holding diplomatic or a diplomatic service passport or a service passport for seamen,
- persons reporting to entry holding a private passport or other travel document for the purpose of official visit (the purpose of official visit shall be proved with documents),
- those providing satisfactory proof while entering Hungary that they have undergone COVID-19 infection within 6 months prior to reporting to entry.
Based on their current level of infection, countries are classified into three groups being green (low infection level), yellow (less serious infection level) and red (severe infection level); the list of countries marked yellow and red shall be published in a decision of the Chief Medical Officer. Countries not marked in the above decision shall belong to the green category. Annex: 41st issue of the Official Gazette.
Border crossing regulations for Hungarian citizens
- Hungarian citizens and their family members not bearing Hungarian citizenship (hereinafter together: Hungarian citizens) arriving in passenger traffic from a country marked green can enter Hungary without restrictions.
- Hungarian citizens arriving from the territory of a country marked yellow or red shall undergo a medical check.
In case of a Hungarian citizen, should a medical check reveal the suspicion of infection, the person concerned would be accommodated in a quarantine designated by the epidemiological authority or - should it not pose an epidemiological risk - in mandatory home quarantine.
In case of a Hungarian citizen, should a medical check not reveal the suspicion of infection and if the person has a home address or residence in Hungary, (s)he will be placed into mandatory home quarantine for 14 days, while in the absence of home address or residence in Hungary, in a quarantine designated by the epidemiological authority.
Persons entitled to the same rights as Hungarian citizens are:
- family members of a Hungarian citizen;
- Persons entitled to permanent residence in Hungary and their family members (such a right must be certified by a document);
- - persons holding a valid residence permit issued by the aliens policing authority allowing for the residence in Hungary for a duration exceeding 90 days and presents this document upon entry (“D” type visa is equivalent).
Border crossing of persons not holding a Hungarian citizenship
- Foreign citizens arriving from abroad from a country marked green can enter without being subject to restrictions. Should persons residing in Hungary detect signs of infection within 14 days following their entrance, they would be forbidden to leave their place of residence and would be obliged to contact the epidemiological authority out of turn.
- Foreign citizens arriving from abroad from a country marked yellow shall undergo a medical check upon entry. Those considered suspectedly infected in the course of the medical check cannot be allowed to enter Hungary. Those not considered suspectedly infected in the course of the medical check will be placed in a quarantine designated by the epidemiological authority or in a mandatory home quarantine.
- Foreign citizens arriving to Hungary in passenger traffic from abroad, from a country marked red, cannot enter Hungary.
No epidemiological monitoring is needed if the person proves with a document issued in English or Hungarian that (s)he has undergone a molecular biological tests (SARS-CoV-2 tests) within 5 days prior to reporting to entry that meets healthcare professional criteria and was conducted on two occasions in an interval exceeding 48 hours, and such tests did not reveal SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus in his/her body.
Persons placed in designated quarantine or mandatory home quarantine will be registered by the epidemiological authority. The police has no powers to give exemptions from mandatory home quarantine or quarantine ordered, it can only be granted by the competent epidemiological authority issuing the decision.
Border crossing of persons employed in the agricultural sector
In order to ensure manpower for the agricultural sector, the group border crossing of employees of the sector can take place at all Ukrainian, Romanian and Serbian border crossing points.
The employer is obliged to submit the list including data specified by Article 13 (4) a) of Government Decree No. 341 of 2020 and authenticated with a proper signature to the electronic mailing address of the competent border policing station at least 48 hours prior to the planned border crossing.
At the Hungarian-Serbian border section:
Szeged border policing station - firstname.lastname@example.org
Bácsalmás border policing station - email@example.com
Hercegszántó border policing station - firstname.lastname@example.org
Kelebia border policing station - email@example.com
At the Hungarian-Romanian border section:
Kiszombor border policing station firstname.lastname@example.org
Nagylak border policing station email@example.com
Battonya border policing station firstname.lastname@example.org
Gyula border policing station email@example.com
Kötegyán border policing station firstname.lastname@example.org
Biharkeresztes border policing station email@example.com
Létavértes border policing station firstname.lastname@example.org
Nyírábrány border policing station email@example.com
Nyírbátor border policing station firstname.lastname@example.org
Csenger border policing station email@example.com
At the Hungarian-Ukrainian border section:
Záhony border policing station firstname.lastname@example.org
Barabás border policing station email@example.com
Beregsurány border policing station firstname.lastname@example.org
Kölcse border policing station email@example.com
Border crossing in a limited area
Citizens of neighbouring countries of Hungary marked yellow or red may enter Hungary within a zone of 30 kilometers counted from the state border for a duration up to 24 hours. Such persons are obliged to stay within the zone of 30 kilometers counted from the state border and to leave the territory of Hungary within 24 hours counted from their entry.
Provisions relating to international sports events, athletes and sports professionals
Participants of an international sports event held in Hungary arriving from a country marked yellow or red can enter Hungary without restrictions, not including spectators.
Athletes with an athletes’ licence arriving upon the invitation of a Hungarian sports organization or national sports association, sports professionals, persons participating in carrying out a sports event and persons holding a nominative invitation letter issued by the official organizer of the sports event to be held in Hungary can only enter Hungary from a country marked yellow or red if they prove with a document issued in English or Hungarian that they have undergone a molecular biological tests (SARS-CoV-2 tests) within 5 days prior to reporting to entry that meets healthcare professional criteria and was conducted on two occasions in an interval exceeding 48 hours, and such tests did not reveal SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus in their bodies.