Border crossing

Information ON border crossing FOR NON-EU citizens


The rules of border traffic control of Schengen states can be found in the Regulation (EC) 562 of 2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 15 March 2006 establishing a Community Code on the rules governing the movement of persons across borders (Schengen Borders Code) (OJ L 105., 13. 04. 2006., page 1).


It is permitted to enter/leave the territory of Hungary from/to Austria, Slovenia and Slovakia without being checked. These border sections can be crossed anywhere and anytime, but attention must be paid not to violate the road traffic regulations or to harm private property (for example it is not allowed to drive on roads for bicycle traffic only or to cross the border at private areas). The passengers of airplanes from or to Schengen countries shall not undergo a passport check, but the security check prior to departure is obligatory for everyone.


To enter or leave the territory of Hungary from/to Ukraine, Romania, Serbia and Croatia is only permitted at the designated border crossing points during opening hours. The special rules on entry and stay at the territory of the border crossing points are stipulated by the regulations of the border crossing point. The summary of these rules are posted at each border crossing point. As a general rule, border check will be carried out under the method of “first come, first served” and is free of charge.


The border check is a control carried out at border crossing points to ascertain whether persons, as well as their means of transport and the objects in their possession, are eligible to enter the territory of Hungary (Schengen states) or to leave it.





In this case, you must use the "ALL PASSPORTS” lane at the border crossing point where you shall always undergo thorough checks. If it is necessary to clarify additional details, the passport control officer may escort you to a separated (private) area. You shall be given written information about this separated check.

During the border checks - besides checking entry conditions - the passport control officer has the right to inspect the vehicles (including engine, interior and luggage rack) and the lawful use of the vehicle. 

Travellers shall possess a valid travel document entitling the holder to cross the border satisfying the following criteria:


  • its validity shall extend at least three months after the intended date of departure from the territory of the Member States.
  • it shall have been issued within the previous 10 years;

If you are a citizen of a state subject to visa obligation, you must also possess a valid visa in addition to the passport. Visa is not required if you are in a possession of a residence permit issued by a Schengen member state.


The visa is just a promise and only one prerequisite of entering Hungary (Schengen member states). During each entry control, officers of the authority responsible for border traffic control check whether the conditions of visa issuance still exist, which you shall prove upon the request of the passport control officer.


The purpose of the entry can be proved by various documents (e.g. hotel reservation, invitation letter, invitation to attend conference or other events, etc.). It is therefore necessary to keep these documents with you. You must also have the sufficient means of subsistence under the rules of the country of destination, which can be different in each Schengen member state. You can get information about the amount of the required sum from the passport control officers. The means of subsistence can essentially be proved by cash, debit and credit cards, letter of invitation or traveller’s cheque.

ATTENTION! You only have to present the sufficient means of subsistence to the officer, under no means should you be required to hand it over, and no one can take these away. Should you experience any of the above, please immediately contact the commander the border crossing point or any other police unit by also disclosing the name and police identification badge number of the affected officer.

Besides the above mentioned controls, it is obligatory for the passport control officer to always check your documents and vehicle in Hungarian and EU databases under the Act on Police (Act XXXIV of 1994). If your border crossing is permitted, the passport control officer shall always place an entry or exit stamp in your passport. If your entry is refused for not fulfilling the conditions, a standard form shall be handled to you stating the reason for refusal.





You can use both the “EU, EEC, SWISS” and the ALL PASSPORT lanes at the border crossing points. However, it is suggested to use the EU lane, for the control of non-EU citizens using the ALL PASSPORTS lane is more thorough and lengthy.


You are entitled to enter Hungary and the countries appearing in the title above with your ID card. You are only allowed to leave Hungary to enter a country not appearing in the title above with your ID card if the affected country accepts it. Please, always make sure of it prior to your journey.

You shall undergo minimal checks upon entry or exit, which consists of checking your identity, citizenship and the validity and originality of your documents. Besides, police officers are also entitled to inspect your vehicle and – on a random basis – to check your personal details, your documents and vehicle in Hungarian and EU databases determined by Act XXXIV of 1994 on Police.

You do not have to certify the financial background and aim of your entry, no one can ask for this.

Please be informed that the above preferential rules only apply if, upon documents presented by you, it turns out without doubt that you are a citizen of the EU, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland or Liechtenstein.

Your travel document is not subject to stamping upon entry or exit.





If you accompany your EU citizen family member or wish to enter Hungary to join your family member living here, you only have to undergo minimal checks upon crossing the border (see: entry of EU citizens), however, your travel document is only exempt from stamping if you already possess a residence card issued to a family member of an EEA citizen, and you can also present it.


If you are a citizen of a state subject to visa obligation and do not yet have a residence card issued to a family member of an EEA citizen, you can only enter the country in possession of a valid visa. You shall obtain this at the embassy.


Should you travel alone or not for the purpose of joining an EU citizen family member of yours living here, you would not be subject to a check at the border crossing point under rules applying to EU citizens.


Information ON border crossing FOR Hungarian citizens



Upon entering or exiting the country, you are subject to regulations on entering and exiting and checking of EU citizens. Besides, you always have the right to return home, even if you do not meet the entry requirements.


You are even entitled to enter all EU states, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Croatia and Serbia with your ID card. Please make sure to always possess a passport or ID card, even if there is no border control.


Countries allowing for entry with a valid Hungarian ID card accept the following types of IDs:

  • Identification certificate issued prior to 1 April 1991 (hard cover, with the People’s Republic coat of arms); 
  • Identification certificate issued following 1 April 1991 (soft cover, with the republican coat of arms);
  • ID card issued following 1 January 2000 (card format, plastic);
  • Temporary residence certificate issued following 1 January 2000.


The ID card issued by Hungary to non-Hungarian citizens is not accepted as travel document while travelling abroad. For the sake of problem-free travelling abroad, we suggest to use a passport or a new type, card-format ID card. Please take note of the fact that valid, card-format driver’s licences are not considered travel documents, therefore these are not accepted upon travelling abroad.

For the travel of minors, the written official consent of the tutelary is always required, besides a valid passport or ID card.

If you are both a Hungarian citizen and a citizen of another state, the border check will be carried out in accordance with the genuine travel document you present.


Pre-Registration – smooth border crossing at the border with Ukraine, Serbia, Croatian and Romania 


As a new initiative of the police, it is possible to make bus pre-registration for border crossing via mail or fax at Záhony, Beregsurány Border Police Offices of Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg County Police, at Szeged Border Police Office of Csongrád County Police, at Kelebia, Hercegszántó Border Police Offices of Bács-Kiskun County Police, at Battonya, Gyula, Kötegyán Border Police Offices of Békés County Police, and at Biharkeresztes, Nyírábrány Border Police Offices of Hajdú-Bihar County Police, furthermore, at Border Policing Unit of Nagykanizsa Police Station, located in Letenye - Zala County Police -. The initiative aims to make border crossing quicker and easier.



Border crossing point

Email Address

Fax number



 local number: 78-65




















Letenye Highway  +36-93-543-102